- 8 servings
- 400 F
- 45 min.
- 45 min.
- Alton Brown via Food Network
- 1 1/2 lb. russet potatoes
- 1/4 c. half-and-half
- 2 oz. butter
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 lb. ground lamb or beef
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. tomato sauce
- 1 c. chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 c. frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 c. frozen peas
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- peel potatoes, dice into 1/2 in. cubes
- put potatoes in saucepan, cover with cold water
- place lid over saucepan
- boil saucepan over high heat
- remove lid from saucepan
- simmer 15 to 20 min.
- go work on the filling
- combine butter and half-and-half, warm in microwave for 30 sec.
- drain potatoes and return to the saucepan
- mash potatoes with a fork
- add half-and-half, butter, salt and petter
- mash the potatoes more with a fork
- add egg yolk, combine
- heat pan with oil over medium-high heat
- saute fresh vegetables 5 to 10 min.
- add lamb, salt, and pepper
- cook until meat is browned, about 5 min.
- stir in tomato sauce, broth, Worcestershire
- bring to boil
- cover and simmer 10 to 12 min., until sauce has thickened
- add corn and peas
- pour meat mixture into bottom of baking dish
- cover evenly with mashed potatoes
- be attentive to the seal between potatoes and the baking dish
- place baking dish on baking sheet
- use parchment paper under the dish
- bake on middle rack of oven for 25 min., until potatoes start to brown
- cool for 15 min. before serving
Remember to have the meat defrosted!